3. Lack of comprehensive, reliable media buying tools.
A media buyer instructed to research and propose DOOH ad space for a campaign faces severe challenges at every stage of the job:
– consumer media behavior research and audience research (studies are scarce);
– selecting the right networks (information is insufficient and incomplete);
– getting quotes (pricing criteria and media currencies are not standardized);
– placing a purchase/insertion order (workflows are not standardized across networks);
– monitoring campaigns (reporting systems are deficient and not standardized)
– and finally, judging the success of the campaign (post-buy analysis tools are non-existent or poor).
The real mainstream ad dollars will not flow into digital signage/DOOH until the above challenges are resolved on the industry-wide scale. Agency-endorsed digital-signage-specific media buying tools need to be developed.